Sunday, July 18, 2010

An Evening at the Ballpark

Almost every summer I spend a month or more in Buffalo, and get to four or five Bisons game. The Bisons, of the International League, are the Mets top farm team (though until a couple of years ago they were affiliated with the Indians). My favorite major league team, the Braves, also have an International League farm team, now based in Gwinnett but long residents of Richmond. Due to some odd quirk of scheduling, I never seem to catch the Braves farmhands when I'm in Buffalo; they either pass through before or after I leave the area. Or at least, that was the case until this year. Friday night, I went out to look at some future Atlanta stars.

The hero of the game for Gwinnett (who came back from a five run deficit in late innings to tie the game, only to lose in the eleventh) was Mitch Jones, above, who hit a couple of home runs. Actually, I don't think Jones is considered much of a prospect-- he's a bit older, and has been kicking around the minors for some time. But he put on an offensive show while I was there and I appreciated the effort.

Probably the biggest prospect on the Gwinnett team right now is this guy: Freddie Freeman (do you think his parents were Captain Marvel fans?), a strapping first baseman with a keen eye and sweet stroke. He walked three times in the game, which may have been partly fear on the part of the Bisons' pitchers, and also had a hit. He looks good to inherit the firstbase position in Atlanta in the next year or so, and he should join with Jason Heyward to provide a solid middle-of-the-order tandem for years to come. Of course, that's the whole point of watching Triple A baseball-- imagining that the guys on the field are future major league all-stars. But I think Freeman has a good shot to become just that. Obviously, I'm pulling for him.

No comments: