Friday, July 16, 2010

Soup Diary 100716

I enjoyed a first class cup of soup last night, in fact a type I've never had before, and I did not have it at Fables Cafe. I was at a place called the Grapevine, celebrating Ben's birthday, and started my meal with some Creamy Vegetable soup. On ordering, I expected it to be like regular vegetable soup, but with a creamy instead of clear broth. But it was actually more like a chunky broccoli soup with, in fact, broccoli as the major component, along with carrots, and I'm convinced something like butternut squash in the mix. My Mom thought she detected some spinach as well, and I'm pretty sure it was seasoned with cilantro. All in all, it was a very nice variation on the kind of broccoli soup that is almost omnipresent on restaurant menus, and I applaud the chef for taking it a step or two beyond the ordinary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you true, John, I did not think the Cream of vegetable soup was all that great - tasted to me like they just dumped all their leftovers into a a creamy mixture of some sort. It was served nice and hot though....Mom