Thursday, July 29, 2010

Soup Diary 100729

One of my favorite comfort foods is ham and scalloped potatoes, and so much the better if there's a bit of cheese (cheddar, swiss, parmesan, I don't care) in the mix. Fables, my favorite place for soup, also offeres on its menu a ham and scalloped potato po' boy sandwich, which I've tasted a couple of times with great results. So, when they listed cheesy ham and potato soup a couple days ago, I figured I was in for a treat. As it turns out, not so much of a treat. The soup was okay, but there wasn't that extra something special I've come to expect in the chef's work. Sure, there were potatoes, and chunks of ham, and a light cheesy flavor to the broth, but it all added up to something kind of mundane. I suppose it may be a case of too-high expectations, but I think in this instance it really was a duller soup than the typical fare I've been sampling over the past few weeks. Nothing wrong with that in the long run-- it's the ordinary stuff that makes the truly extraordinary stand out, and I fully expect my next bowl to bowl me over.

No comments: