Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Visit to Letchworth

Seems like I've taken a lot of photos of waterfalls this summer, and here are a few more. I spent much of the day at Letchworth State Park over on the eastern edge of the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. The park consists of a large gorge carved out by the Genesee River, and the highlights are the three cascades at the north end of the park. Above you'll see a portion of the lower falls, which looks pretty placid from this angle.

The middle falls, see above, are the prettiest of the three (I think), and not too surprisingly it was alongside this section that the Glen Iris Inn was built back in the 1850s (seen below-- still in operation today).

Here's another view of the middle falls (in the foreground) and the upper falls in the distance behind, looking up the gorge from the north (notice the railroad trestle that traversed the gorge just upriver from the falls):

And finally, a closer look at the upper falls with a portion of the wall of the canyon. This was a great place to hike around, though I have to admit, the climbing got to me in the end, and I was pretty beat. I'll probably share some more pictures from our visit as I get a chance to review them more completely.

No comments: