Saturday, April 24, 2010

European Trip 19

A few more shots from an evening in the Potsdamer Platz, starting with another view of the overhead whachamacallit. I was mostly just happy with how well my camera was capturing the array of lights.

Here's a shot of the giant (well, actually it may be life-size for all I know) Lego giraffe, with Molly, Jackie and Ben posing underneath.

As I've mentioned before, much of Berlin's architecture is fairly new, since so much of the city was destroyed in World War II. Potsdamer Platz used to be a rather Victorian looking, ritzy residential neighborhood (according to photos we saw later at a museum). Here, you see the remnants of the facade of an old building that remained following the bombing, but which has now been encased in glass at the base of a newer building. I can't think of anywhere else I've ever been where you'd see something like that-- not the combination of old and new, but the blatant way the old is emphasized.

I have to say, this was one of the coolest subway stations I've ever seen.

Another striking building was this variation on the flatiron effect. What was really interesting is that the place really does come to a sharp point, as you can tell if you follow the line to the very top.

Our visit corresponded with Easter Week, and these giant eggs in a shopping mall indicate that Berliners were also awaiting the Easter Bunny. I trust they were not disappointed.

No comments: