Monday, April 26, 2010

European Trip 21

I'm finally up to day three of our visit to Berlin (with Dresden and Prague still to come). Sunday morning was spent at the Museum of the city of Berlin, followed by a walk along the route of the Berlin half-marathon.

A number of streets were closed off for the race, including Kurfurstendamm, where we were. While early on the runners were going by in twos and threes, soon enough the boulevard was packed.

It had rained the night before, so the streets were wet and glistening in the morning sun, which created an interesting effect with the shadows of the runners.

In fact, the crowds on the street watching the race reminded me exactly of a spring morning in Manhattan with some big street event unfolding. It didn't take much imagination to feel like I was walking down Fifth Avenue back in 1983.

It was fun seeing the runners, but al-in-all, I'd rather ride a bike myself.

No comments: