Sunday, April 11, 2010

Baseball on the Radio

I love listening to baseball on the radio. Last Monday, which was opening day for most teams, I spent the day in the car and it was a real treat to be able to listen to long stretches of baseball and not have to depend solely on talk radio for companionship (I listen to music too, but like to mix things up). In fact, I was able to hear most of the Braves-Cubs opener, and heard Jason Heyward homer in his first major league at-bat (in fact, on his first major league swing!). Over the past few years, my opportunities to hear games over the airwaves have been limited, as I live in a part of the country that pretty much blocks out signals from even powerful big city stations. But this week, I decided to take the plunge and pay for mlb.com's radio package. For twenty bucks, I can listen to the radio broadcasts of any game for the rest of the season on my computer, and I even have the choice of listening to the home or away teams broadcast. I'm already hooked, and now I'm wondering if I'll be venturing out too many evenings, especially if the Braves are playing. This is nearly as good as all those years I was spoiled when TBS aired virtually every Braves game on TV (that ended a couple seasons ago), but in many ways, radio is better: it's a lot easier to do otehr things when I'm not locked in to the visuals. I'm also looking forward to hearing again some great broadcasters like Vin Scully (Dodgers) and old favorites like Jerry Howarth (Blue Jays, who I used to hear regularly back in the eighties and early nineties). I don't know why I didn't do this sooner!

No comments: