Saturday, April 10, 2010

European Trip 5

We're five posts into my memoir of our trip to Germany and the Czech Republic, and I'm still posting images from the first afternoon. Oh, well. Above you see the Peace Memorial located in a former arsenal, now inhabited solely by the statue by Kathe Kollwitz seen above (called "Mother and Her Dead Son). Kollwitz was a Berliner whose work ticked off the Nazi regime, but whose international fame provided her some protection from persecution. Still, much of her work was destroyed during the war. It's only appropriate that this piece occupies space previously devoted to stockpiling weapons.

I don't think I've ever before seen a real live organ grinder before, but this guy was standing outside the Museum of History cranking away on his music machine. All that he lacked was a monkey.

I think the hours of travel and walking were starting to take a toll on Ben, hence his expression. But he claimed that he was having a good time, and I have no reason to doubt him. This was taken in front of the History Museum as well.

The Berlin Cathedral, known as the Dom, is a baroque structure that all our guides pretty much disparaged for its garishness. I see their point, but I'd definitely take this over all the Soviet style blockhouses that dominate the architecture in East Berlin.

This is a detail from the railing along the brodge that sits adjacent to the cathedral, crossing the Spree River.

Last, for today, is a shot of the Altes Museum, which Ben and I would return to a couple days later to see their collection of ancient artifacts from Greece and Rome. I'll post some pictures of that subsequent visit in a later post (at the rate I'm going that's probably several weeks away ;-)

No comments: