Friday, April 30, 2010

European Trip 25

As promised yesterday, here are some photos from inside the museum of antiquities (that wasn't it's actual name, but I forgot what that was). These were taken by Ben, who is more interested in the ancients than me.

Seems to me this was part of a crypt, but I'm not sure if I remember that correctly.

There were a lot of statues like this one, though without the small figure peering out from behind the folds of the ladies robes (at least that's what stands out to me).

This was one of my favorites, from a special exhibit of busts of the Roman Brutus, who evidently enjoyed some kind of cult of popularity in the years following his role in the assassination of Caesar.

These last two shots are actually from another museum we visited right after looking at the artifacts of classical times. The Art Institute had a really strong Georg Grosz show, but we couldn't take piuctures in the galleries. Above you see a part of the lobby/cafe which was decorated with posters from past shows.

And here's a look at the mezzanine, which gives you an idea of the modernist design of the whole building, which serves as a school as well as a gallery. Since I tend to prefer the modern stuff, this was one of the "art" highlights of the trip for me.

No comments: