Saturday, May 30, 2009

Trip Pictures

My drive east was very uneventful, and since I came straight through, mostly limited to the mundane view one gets from the interstate. However, I did take a small side track down through southeast Iowa, passing through places like Oskaloosa, Ottumwa and Mount Pleasant. I ended up crossing the Mississippi at Burlington, and stopped to take a few shots there, including the one above (looking north-- that's the bridge I would eventually cross) and the one below (looking south past a replica of the Statue of Liberty which resides at the Port of Burlington), which I thought I would share.

Crossing the Mississippi always signals a passage from west to east (or vice-versa when I return), so it seemed the one moment of the trip worth commiting to megapixels.

2 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
Was that Ottumwa Iowa that the fictional Radar O'Reilly(?),from MASH, called home? =)
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
One and the same! It's an interesting small town on the Des Moines River (which cuts diagonally across the state). I didn't actually stop this time, but about six or seven years ago when I passed through, I stopped at a local diner for a meatloaf dinner; the town then appeared to be more or less unchanged from what it must've looked like fifty or sixty years ago-- back when Radar left for Korea. ;-)
Dr. John