Friday, May 22, 2009

The Curse (?) of Digital TV

Earlier this week I upgraded my internet connection to broadband (which is incredible in comparison to the old dial-up I was using). The internet upgrade came packaged with an upgrade to my cable TV service as well, and the number of channels I have access to has about tripled. With this plethora of new channels to watch, which are the shows I've become most attached to? All the old stuff, like Maverick (score!) on Encore Western, Lost in Space and Remington Steele on American Life Network, and Match Game on the Game Show Network. What does it say about me that I'm more entertained by all these old programs (many of which I've seen before), with little to no interest in any of the excruciating number of makeover and reality shows on most of the other new networks I now have access to? Maybe its just my historian's sensibility kicking in, but then again, maybe the old shows were actually better? If I should stumble across The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis or (dare I hope) The Smothers Brothers Show, I may never leave the house. If anyone has any suggestions for other shows I should look out for, let me know.

4 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
If you like the older shows, on channel 660 (UHD) on Mondays they have a Hogans Hero's marathon (it runs for about 10 hours (it does repeat the first 5 hours in the second part) and on Fridays it does the same thing with Becker. I have found that I laugh more on those two days. It seems to me that there were other channels you may enjoy, will keep the eye open for you ;)
Lil' Sis

Rick Shelton said...

Dr John,

I came across your blog through an email alert I have for anything related to the Smothers Brothers.

If you don't already know, The DVD of the third season is out. I've seen it available for rent on Netflix. Thought you might want to know.

I've heard though that there are some parts missing. Maybe copyright issues?

John Hajduk said...

Rick,
Thanks for the heads-up; I'll definitely have to pick up that collection. But actually the show I was referring to in the post was not the variety show from the late sixties (which I'm anxious to see again), but rather the mid-sixties sit-com where Tommy played an angel. I don't know if it would live up to my expectations, but I have vague recollections of watching it as a kid and really liking it. I believe it only lasted one year however, and therefore never popped up anywhere in syndication. By the way, there's also a great documentary about the latter show and its fate called "Smothered" that's worth checking out if you haven't seen it.
Dr. John

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
I liked both Hogan's Heroes and Becker, but have seen them recently enough that there's no great kick of rediscovery, whereas I hadn't seen Lost in Space in probably twenty+ years. That's the thrill I'm looking for now with all these new channels (though I suppose that will wear off if they're on all the time).
Dr. John