Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soup Diary 100324

I have to admit I'm starting to get a little tired of trying new varieties of soup just for the sake of novelty. A couple days ago I was out for dinner at a place called Curry's in Buffalo, and they make a mean house specialty: banana pepper soup. But the soup de jour was chicken barley, and since I could not recall ever having chicken barley before, I ordered that instead. Make no mistake, this was a decent cup of soup, but it was also exactly what you would expect, namely chicken soup with barley instead of noodles. So knowing what chicken noodle is like, and knowing what beef barley (which I've had lots of times) is like... well let's just say there were no surprises in how the chicken barley turned out. I may have been slightly optimistic of different results because the banana pepper soup is so good, but I think if I'd gone with my gut I would not really have bothered. Sometimes it pays to stick with the tried and true, at least when the other option promises only long odds of surprising you.

No comments: