Monday, March 22, 2010

Soup Diary 100321

My first cup of soup at Fables (the coffee shop in the Buffalo library) in about three months turned out to be a real knee-buckler, and it was a surprise since it was a variety that I've always eschewed when it popped up on the menu before: broccoli cheddar. It's not that I don't like broccoli cheddar, but it's become such a staple in so many places that I end up having it a lot when there are no other options. At Fables, there's always another choice, so I typically pick one. But I figured I ought to give their version a shot and I am soooo glad that I did. This has immediately jumped to the top of my list of favorites, at least in a tie with the Sweet Potato Poblano (which I'm starting to think may have been a one-time thing as it doesn't seem to come around regularly in the rotation). A couple things make it special: first, it is not just chunks of broccoli in a melted cheese broth which is typical. Instead, the soup was a rich broccoli puree (with some bigger florets) with some really sharp shredded cheddar melting on top. And the real treat was that it was spiced up with some crushed red pepper which gave it a definite and unexpected kick. Easily the soup of the year, so far. I can't even imagine how it might be surpassed, but one can hope.

No comments: