Sunday, March 21, 2010

Philosophy for Sunday

Today's words of wisdom come from the Roman philosopher Marcus Aurelius (121-180), and might be worth keeping in mind during the debates currently consuming our government:

"PUT yourself in mind, every morning, that before that
night you will meet with some meddlesome, ungrateful
and abusive fellow, with some envious or unsociable
churl. Remember that their perversity proceeds from
ignorance of good and evil; and that since it has fallen
to my share to understand the natural beauty of a good
action and the deformity of an ill one; since I am
satisfied that the disobliging person is of kin to me,
our minds being both extracted from the Deity; since
no man can do me a real injury because no man can
force me to misbehave myself; cannot therefore hate
or be angry with one of my own nature and family.
For we are all made for mutual assistance, no less
than the parts of the body are for the service of the
whole; whence it follows that clashing and
opposition are utterly unnatural."

No comments: