Monday, November 1, 2010

Soup Diary 101101

Yesterday was a bit chilly in Dillon, so I decided to make up a pot of homemade soup. Not feeling ambitious enough to go for something exotic, I just chopped up some veggies (onions, celery, carrots, and peppers-- lots of peppers, green and red) and through it together with some stew meat and potatoes into some broth and let it simmer all afternoon. I went kind of light on the seasoning, which somehow resulted in a fabulously rich and aromatic broth (just fresh ground black pepper, cumin and cilantro), maybe the best I've ever made. I hope I can remember how I did it next time, since I didn't measure anything out nor write out any directions. Oh, I forgot to mention my secret ingredient: about a quarter cup of tomato paste dissolved into the mix, which gave it all a creamier texture and a bit of a bite in flavor. It was a pretty straight forward, basic mix of ingredients, but it sure turned out good. The best part: I made enough that I can enjoy it for muck of the upcoming week!

No comments: