Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Congratulations to the San Francisco Giants

Obviously they weren't my first choice to go all the way this year, but I'm somewhat pleased by the San Francisco Giants World Series victory. There are two main reasons: first, if the Giants can win with that array of talent, then the Braves are much closer to a championship than I thought. I think my team matches up pretty well with the Giants (as evidenced by their close division series with the ultimate champs), especially with their wealth of good young pitching. The second reason is that I remember the great Giants teams of my youth, led by the Willies, Mays and McCovey, but also Juan Marichal, Mike McCormick, Gaylord Perry, Jim Ray Hart, Dick Dietz, Tito Fuentes, et. al. They were a good team for most of the years of my youth, and I kind of forgot that they never won a championship. Plus, San Francisco is one of my favorite cities, and watching the Series reminded me that I haven't been there in quite some time-- so I'm planning a trip, maybe next Spring. In the end, it wasn't the most exciting Series to watch, but it fed some nice positive memories and plans, so it was definitely a satisfactory way to see the season end.

No comments: