Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soup Diary 100817

Oh the hubris! Ten days removed from my last taste of Fables great soup, I decided this afternoon to see if I couldn't replicate one of their best in my very own kitchen. I didn't have their recipe, so I based my efforts on the memory embedded in my taste buds (not a normal repository of memories, I know), and fell short (though not woefully short). My Broccoli Cheddar had the same consistency, and at least a hint of the flavor of theirs, but some ineffable something was missing-- and it wasn't the crushed red peppers, which I did remember, and which probably were responsible for me coming as close as I did with my imitation. I have enough broccoli left to try again, but maybe I'll get even more ambitious and see if I can whip up some sweet potato poblano, for which I'll have to stretch those taste memories back to over a year ago. As I said at the start of this post, hubris.

No comments: