Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cool Site

I stumbled across this collection of photographs (at the Library of Congress of all places) taken across the Russian Empire back in the early nineteenth century by a photographer named Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii. Some of the photos were taken in the Ukraine, which is where my Dad was born, and so I suspect those images give some idea of what the place was like when my paternal grandparents were growing up. Even if you don't share that heritage, you might enjoy seeing these pictures of a far away land from long ago, many actually in color.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Nice find, John. Love the pic you choose as a header.

John Hajduk said...

Thanks Jennifer. I was tempted to use one of the color shots, but this one conveys the age a little better (which is partly what makes the color shots so interesting-- it seems to erase the time distance in a way I would not have expected).
Dr. John

Jennifer said...

Have you seen this site?

http://extras.denverpost.com/archive/captured.html