Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Soup Diary 100811

Aside from family and friends, I think that I'll miss Fables Cafe the most until I get back to Western New York. The chefs there are truly masters of the soup kettle, and since I tend to spend a lot of time in the Buffalo & Eris County library anyway (which is where Fables is located), it's both convenient and entirely satisfying. I should note that they make great sandwiches and salads too, but the soups are such a bargain that I rarely stray from a selection from that part of the menu (it helps that they always have at least three varieties on hand). Oh, and their iced teas are also consistently the best I've had at a restaurant, unsweetened with just a touch of peach, raspberry or current flavor. On my last visit this summer, I enjoyed a bowl of Braised Pork and Black Bean, and it was a real struggle to resist the temptation to go back and follow it up with a cup of Tomato Basil. I probably ate at Fables about twenty times over the summer, and I think that the only times I had the same thing twice was when I lucked out and Broccoli Cheddar and Creamy Black Bean came around in the rotation twice while I was in town (in both cases, I actualloy ordered the duet of soups-- two cups, which allowed me to enjoy both the good stuff and something I hadn't had before). I actually get e-mails every day listing the specials, and I'm already a little ticked that the Eggplant Bisque is being offered today-- that's one I've regularly missed and wanted to try for some time. Oh well, I guess that just gives me something to look forward to next time I'm back home. If you should ever find yourself at the library, trust me and try the soup, whatever it is that day.

No comments: