Thursday, January 14, 2010

Soup Diary 100114

So what exactly is the point of serving soup in such a shallow bowl that you can't even totally submerge your spoon? Doesn't all that surface exposure cause the stuff to cool down much too quickly? Sure, you can see everything since there's really no place for any ingredients to hide, but what good is that? I like the occasional surprise. This is what I was thinking about while consuming some vegetable beef soup at a reasonably well-known (at least in Montana) Bozeman eatery, which tells you something about the gastronomical quality of the soup: rather blah, and not even very warm (on a night when the temperature outside was about 10 below zero, so I was really looking forward to some hot soup) by the time I was scraping up the last spoonful. I guess that just the way it goes sometimes.

No comments: