Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Soup Diary 100106

French Onion soup is of course one of the standbys-- it seems to be a regular on many restaurant menus even when they rotate other varieties from day to day. Yesterday I had a nice cup of the stuff at a place called Peter B's, though I have to admit I went there for a different reason than the soup. I'd read that they made great potato pancakes, and I'm not sure if there's anything I enjoy more than a good potato pancake (which, frankly, are much harder to find than a good cup of soup). So Mom and I stopped by after a movie, and both ordered from the fairly lengthy list of options for how our pancakes might be prepared. I ordered the Chicken Alfredo variation, and while it was quite tasty, it's important to note that the chicken, peppers and sauce kind of overwhelmed the flavor of the potato, which kind of defeated the purpose somehow. Don't get me wrong, it was very tasty, and filling (the chicken, etc. was wrapped in a folded pancake and covered with Alfredo sauce). I think next time I go (and Mom agreed-- she tried an Eggs Benedict pancake), I'm going to order the pancakes by themselves to see if they hold up to the praise they'd received on their own. I'll also definitely have another cup of the onion soup, since that wasn't disappointing at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, John, They should forget all the fancy stuff and stick to plain potato pancakes. I think there was a mistake in the kitchen for my serving of eggs benedict was more like a Spanish omelet. Mom