Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Photoshop Fun

Here are a few pictures I've been playing around with on Photoshop Elements, trying to come up with some artistic effects. Feel free to comment on the results. Above is a stylized shot of Ben and Natalie (I was looking down on them from the mezzanine at the Burchfield-Penney Art Center).

This is a picture of the farmer's market in downtown Buffalo on a rainy day last summer, though it may take a moment to make out that particular subject. I liked how the overhead walkway and awnings contributed to almost futuristic effect, and I tried to play that up by monkeying with the texture and contrast.

This is the new office building, also in downtown Buffalo, that replaced the old federal building. I flattened out the colors and textures to give it a more abstract feel.

And last, a photo from Red Rocks Park outside Las Vegas with my friend Bill in the foreground. Again this was an experiment with textures which, I think, turned out pretty good on the rocks, but I wish I could somehow clarify the outline of Bill against the bushes-- I'll have to keep working on this one.

2 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I like your photos, one thought to pass onto you is that you don't have to photoshop every photo you produce (you have some great photos without this technique). I understand you are experimenting but don't fall in love with it so much you can't let your photo's stand by themselves =)
I did notice that your picture of the farmers market reminded me of a previous post of a favorite photographer, so after searching (thank you for that function) I found the one I was thinking of. It was posted last year Sept 24th by the photographer Berenice Abbott.. good going, I can see where you get some of your inspiration =)
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
Yep, that was inspired by Abbott, definitely. If you look for the painting by Franz Kline that I also wrote about some time back, there's a connection there too. I only play around with a tiny percentage of the pictures I take, and only ones that I think lend themselves to some of the effects available with that software, or in some cases (like the one here of Ben and Natalie) that I somehow messed up (misfocused), so that the effects are chosen to make the flaws something closer to assets. But I always save the new versions as separate files so I can always go back and re-evaluate or re-use the original in other ways.
Dr. John