Sunday, January 17, 2010

Soup Diary 100117

This is somewhat unprecedented-- two straight soup diaries focusing on the same kind of soup. Even though I didn't really enjoy the bowl of vegetable beef I had earlier in the week at one place, when I visited another establishment yesterday, the only choices were that and broccoli cheddar, and I thought the former was more likely to be special. Boy was I wrong. It was definitely homemade, with really big chunks of beef, carrots, tomatoes and some other stuff, but also almost totally lacking in flavor. It didn't even seem like the stuff had cooked long enough for the broth to absorb any of the essence of the various ingredients. Luckily, the sandwich that I had with it (turkey & swiss on fresh jalapeno bread) was extremely good, so on balance the lunch was a success. But I think the odds of me ordering vegetable beef soup anytime soon are pretty slim. Maybe I'll just make my own, since it's one of the few that I can nail pretty much at will even though I don't follow a recipe. In fact, it's been awhile since I did make some, so maybe I ought to whip some up just to make sure I don't lose my touch.

No comments: