Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Remembering Otis Redding

Speaking of records (as I was in the previous post), let me nominate Otis Redding and Jimi Hendrix Live at the at Monterey International Pop Festival as the greatest live album of all time. One side Otis, one side Jimi, both in seminal performances that for all intents and purposes introduced each to the mainstream rock crowd of 1967. Portions of each performance were also captured in the documentary of the event filmed by D.A. Pennebaker. Here's a segment from the film of Redding's performance, which, if you have hearts and ears, ought to just whet your appetite for more:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, John, You call that singing???? I have a heart and ears but I certainly would not go out of my way to hear this! Mom

John Hajduk said...

Gee Mom,
If that's your reaction, I'm glad I didn't post something from the Hendrix side of the record ;-)
Dr. John