Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Pompei

Sometime back my nephew Ben asked me to post some pictures from my visit to Pompei back in 2000. I've finally gotten around to digitizing some of those pictures, so here they are. Pompei was the last stop for me on the trip (my traveling companions were there a couple days longer and also took in Capri). We'd previously visited Rome, Florence, Venice and Pisa (actually following an itinerary that was very similar to my visit last fall). As I recall, Pompei was cold and largely empty of other tourists, though we did make the acquaintance of a presumably local dog who followed us around for most of the day.

I don't have these properly labeled to be able to say exactly what they are, but above is a little crossroads in the city, with Vesuvius visible in the distance to the right.

Here is a particularly well-preserved facade of some public building, along with the remnants of some columns. It's actually kind of creepy wandering among these ruins, knowing the fate that befell the last inhabitants.

In various spots around the town, you find these cages filled with archaeological artifacts that have yet to be cataloged for display. It's just piles and piles of stuff- the recovered possessions of those who died (or fled from) the eruption. I suspect that any one of these cages holds enough fascinating material to keep someone who's interested in ancient history occupied for days.

More columns. One wonders if this won't ultimately be what someplace like Las Vegas will look like when the water runs out.

Last, a more lighthearted image. My friends emulating the figure in the statue in the foreground. That's Evan, Lindsey, Christine, Jim and Lindy. If any of you are looking in, drop me a line and let me know how things are going.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I recall, that is "The Dancing Fawn" ... and, somewhere I have a picture of "The Dancing John"

-e

John Hajduk said...

e,
I thought that was you! I think I have a copy of "The Dancing John" too, but you'll notice I'm much freer with the potentially embarrassing pictures of family and friends than I am myself ;-)
Dr. John

Anonymous said...

Aw come on, John...let's see that picture of the dancing John Mom