Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Favorite Painting 14

Samuel Halpert, Flatiron Building 1919

I lived in New York for a couple of years in the early '80s (actually, my apartment was across the river in Weehawken, but for all intents and purposes, I "lived" in Manhattan, if you know what I mean). I never fail to be impressed by the sight of the city's skyline, and though the Flatiron Building on Fifth and Broadway is totally obscured now by the surrounding structures, it's generally considered to be the first skyscraper in the city. I spent a lot of weekends wandering around Greenwich Village and often found myself in the vicinity of the Flatiron, and when I did, I'd commonly linger in the square checking out the building. It's a fascinating structure, and one that has inspired a lot of artists and photographers to try and capture its unique character, which is partly it's narrow design and I think also the way it is so seamlessly integrated into that particular neighborhood (obviously, a major factor in its design). Halpert's painting shows that by incorporating much of the surrounding area in some detail. It's a picture that reminds me of a particular time when anything was possible-- in 1919 for the city and in 1983 for me. In fact it weas around the latter time that I decided to go back to school, which eventually led me to my current profession. I'm not sayiong the Flatiron Building is responsible for me becoming a historian, but I don't deny there's some perhaps mystical connection between the two.

No comments: