Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Favorite Painting 13

Jan Vermeer, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher, c1664

As should be obvious from virtually all of the other paintings featured in this series, my tastes generally run to more modern works. I think part of that is that in post-Enlightenment paintings, the visual cues pointing to social, political and, I guess, psychological elements are more apparent to me, and therefore lend those works to more thoughtful consideration and interpretation. I don't mean to suggest that such cues are lacking in earlier works, only that my ability to discern them is limited. But in Vermeer's masterpiece (which I saw in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York back in the early 80s), such considerations are somewhat beside the point. Although clearly in a realistic vein, it's the impression created by the play of light on the woman's face, on the pitcher, even on the wall behind her that engages my attention and calls to mind the serene contemplation of existential questions that I associate with a state of almost child-like wonder at the mysteries of life, prompted by the crisp perception of a speck of dust gently falling through a sunbeam. After a certain age, we seem to lose the capacity to feel such basic, viscerally charged epiphanies, but Vermeer's painting sparks, for me at least, a recollection of just such a reverie. The shock of that memory is matched in another great work of art, Wim Wenders film Wings of Desire, in a scene where an angel eavesdrops on the thoughts of a group of train passengers, some of which match closely with the type described ("Why am I me and not you?"). I should not have been surprised (in hindsight) when, in reading an interview with Wenders after seeing his movie, I found out that he considered Vermeer a major influence on his work. I guess this speaks to the universal nature of great art, and suggests similar discoveries in store as I continue to explore pre-modern masterpieces.

2 comments:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
You have finally posted a painting by an artist that truly blows my mind and who's artistic talent is one I am constantly trying to grow to(artisticly). VerMeer's talent, particularly in his use of light in his paintings is as elusive as the light itself. For someone who tends to favor the more modernistic artistic endevors, to me, it is like a cool drink of water to see this on your blog. When you saw this painting in the 80's did you actually get a chance to look closely? I understand his paintings show no brush marks in the paint. His renderings of everyday life in his hometown of Delft show such tenderness, heartyness, and richness even for the lowely servents he would paint.
There is a book called Girl in Hyacinth Blue written by Susan Vreeland that is a fictional account of one of his painting (I think that is fictional too) that works backwards from owner to owner ending with VerMeer himself. And of course seeing Colin Firth play the man himself in Girl with a Pearl Earring doesn't diminish the man in my eyes either =)
Lil' Sis

John Hajduk said...

Lil Sis,
I can't say as I recall about the brush-strokes. But then I rarely see the craft behind any of these works, aside from the sum of it all in the finished product. I guess that's partly distinguishes artists like you members of the audience like me ;-)
Dr. John