Monday, March 30, 2009

Memories of Spain

Here's another "archival" post commemorating my 1988 trip to Spain. It's also kind of a follow-up to the post last week on my visit to Pompeii since I'm focusing here on a series of photos taken of another remnant of the classical Roman era, namely the aqueduct in Segovia.

Here's a close-up of the aqueduct, which was constructed sometime in the late first/early second century AD, to bring water to the town from the nearby mountains.

Here you can see how the structure runs adjacent to the rest of the city, with the aqueduct itself straddling several streets.

Here's a view from the old walls of the city, which themselves must date back at least to medieval times.

From this angle, you really get a sense of how magnificently engineered this thing is, as its pretty apparent that those upper pillars are pretty thin. It's incredible that this remains standing, and I don't doubt that, if necessary, it could be put back to work delivering water.

P.S. This is my 100th post this month. When I started the blog last fall, I committed to posting three times a week, and since the start of the year, I'm averaging over three posts a day. I never realized I had so much I wanted to say!

No comments: