Friday, March 13, 2009

If You Are Hungry in Vegas...

... then you might want to check out the Carnegie Deli in the Mirage Hotel.

After walking around on the strip for awhile, friends Rick and Bethany went to view the dolphin habitat located at the Mirage. Bill and I just relaxed in the sunshine and warmth in the area adjacent to the hotel pool. When Rick and Bethany returned, we went for lunch in the deli. The above sandwich (called "The Egg and Oy!" on the menu) is what I had. I should tell you that, had I seen a picture like the one I share here prior to ordering, I likely would've gone with something a little less monstrous. The menu description merely said chicken salad with sliced egg (the sliced egg turned out to be full halves of hard boiled eggs buried in the salad). I finished it, but I wasn't hungry again for the rest of the trip (though I did indulge-- how could I not, given all the wonderful options avaialble to us?). I think this sandwich was even bigger than the beef on weck at Vizzi's on Kenmore (remember that one, Tom?). This certainly wasn't as interesting as the Bismarck pizza I had in Rome, but it was way more filling (notice that the sandwich is taller than the large glass of iced tea behind it).

3 comments:

GJ MR. CHICAGO said...

I am curious as to how you ate that? Holy crap that is a huge sandwich! WOW Oh and Vegas rocks! I go there many times a year! The Luxor is the place to stay! :)

Anonymous said...

I, too, am curious as to how you got your mouth around that sandwich, John.....Mom

John Hajduk said...

The key to eating this is that, although it is called a sandwich, it cannot be eaten as a sandwich (that is, with your hands). I turned the halves on their side, and ate it like a salad plate with a knife and fork. But I'll admit, it took me a few moments to give in and realize that I would not be able to do it any other way.
Dr. John