Thursday, March 26, 2009

Remembering Commander Tom

I was having breakfast with some friends this morning and the topic of classic cartoons came up, prompted by the sighting of a vanity license plate "BOO BOO" and speculation on what it meant (if you don't see the connection, then you probably haven't been thinking about Yogi Berra recently, like I have). Anyway, it reminded me of the Commander Tom Show that I used to watch when I was a kid, on channel 7 in Buffalo. Hosted by the station's weather man, dressed up in a faux military/space uniform, Commander Tom showed old Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers serials, Little Rascals shorts, and of course cartoons. The one I remember best was Roger Ramjet, which I hadn't actually seen in possibly 40 years. But thanks to the wonders of Youtube, which I logged into as soon as I got to a computer, rediscovery was just a few keystrokes away. I have to say, it holds up pretty well! In fact, I'm kind of heartened to see that even a kids' show in the 1960s could poke fun at Cold War hyperbole. Check it out for yourself:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved Roger Ramjet!! Commander Tom was great with Dave Thomas and Promo the Robot. I think it lost it's swing when Tom Jolls took over. Here's a side note of trivia. The original Commander Tom, Dave Thomas, is the father of actor David Boreanaz from TV's Bones.
Dan

John Hajduk said...

Dan,
I didn't know that (about Boreanaz)! But I think you are confusing two different shows-- Rocketship 7 with Dave Thomas was on in the morning, and Commander Tom with Tom Jolls was in the afternoon (maybe Rocketship 7 came first and moved to the morning?). Promo was on Rocketship 7, and Commander Tom had a bunch of puppet co-hosts (was one named Cecily?). Or have my memories become hopelessly disjointed on this matter?
Dr. John

Lil' Sis said...

I also remember Dave Thomas as the first Commander Tom (I thought he was too cute even for my early years) and being upset that this other "guy" took over and never even changed his name =(
Lil' Sis