Thursday, September 16, 2010

Soup Diary 100916

Consider this a firm public pledge: I will no longer buy canned soup. Yesterday I discovered a can of Chicken Gumbo on the shelf hiding behind some canned yams and baked beans. It hasn't been there that long-- I think I purchased it last winter when I had a cold and just craved something hot and liquidy. I can't deny the convenience of canned soup, which is why I cracked this open for supper last night when I got home from work a bit later than usual and wasn't in the mood to actually cook something. But it was so salty and even so still basically flavorless, I couldn't even finish it. There are too many better options for me to bother being disappointed again. So, like the frozen dinners and Chef Boy-Ar-Dee products that I stopped buying a couple years ago, I will no longer purchase any canned soup for my pantry. I won't go so far as to say I won't ever eat it again, but there's no reason I can foresee that would compel me to make it for myself.

No comments: