Saturday, September 11, 2010

Go Braves!

I try not to dwell on my last remaining sports obsession in these posts. There was a time when I devoted an immense amount of emotional energy in cheering on six or eight teams across several sports, but over the years, the only one that still matters to me is the Atlanta Braves (well, maybe the Buffalo Bills a bit too, out of hometown pride). Anyway, the Braves spent most of the summer in first place, but fell out of that exalted position a week or so ago as they hit a cold patch while their pursuers (the Phillies) got hot. Today, the Braves pulled back into a tie for the top spot, so I've decided I need to do my part to keep them on the winning track by generating some positive vibes out of the one public (relatively speaking) forum that I have-- namely this blog. The Braves have a good, young team (including slugging rookies Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman above), and they are trying to win one last pennant for their manager of twenty years Bobby Cox, who announced he was retiring at the end of the season. Wouldn't that make for a great postseason story: the kids winning one for their grizzled chief? I don't imagine there are any Philadelphia fans reading this, so why don't you all think a positive thought or two in support of the Braves, and maybe they'll pull out a championship. You can do that for me, can't you?

No comments: