Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Four Photos

I read a bunch of photography magazines, and one of the common bits of advice they circulate is to go out and discover the great stuff in your own back yard. Well, it's not exactly my yard, but right across the street from me is the Union Pacific right-of-way through Dillon. So tonight, I went out and walked about a mile along the track looking for something interesting to shoot. The picture above was about the best I could do, at least at first.

But walking back, I kind of lucked out, as a train was coming up the track towards me. I saw it coming early enough to manually set the camera to catch some "moving" shots in the now low light, though I didn't have tripod to steady the camera. But the train was moving slow enough that I could take a few snaps at a time and have several possibilities at getting something good.

The three posted here are the ones I like the best, for capturing some movement and interesting light. I'll have to pay attention to exactly when the trains go by, and come back out with my tripod, but in the meantime, I'm pretty pleased with the results of these "backyard" shots.

This is my favorite-- the right side reminds me a lot of the Charles DeMuth painting "My Egypt."

No comments: