Sunday, September 26, 2010

Four Pictures

It was a really nice morning here in SW Montana, so I decided to take a little ride with my camera. I drove up to the Birch Creek site, which is an old CCC camp from the 1930s in the Pioneer Mountains. Nowadays, it's an outdoor education center, but this morning I had it all to myself. I wandered around a bit and shot these pictures of the surrounding woods.

This is a rock formation near the meeting circle of the camp (I think it's natural, but might've been constructed as a monument by the CCC'ers).

The autumn colors of the east aren't always so noticeable around here (lots of evergreens), but this reminded me a bit of the kind of foliage I used to see in the Genesee Valley of New York.

I should've tried to get up there a little earlier, for some better light. But the colors were nice, and it was a nice little stroll around the grounds. I doubt there'll be many more days like this before the cold sets in, so I'm glad I got out there for a little while today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, John. Reminded me of the walks in the woods around Titusville with my Grandfather when I was a child. There was a place down there called Big Rocks that looked much like your picture of Rocks. Grampa said they were left behind when the last glaciers retreated from the area. We loved climbing around on them. Mom