Friday, September 17, 2010

Classic Television

These days David Letterman is something of a late-night institution, but way back in 1980 he hosted a daily morning show that was must-see TV for me that summer and Fall (the show didn't last even a year as I recall). I also seem to recall that my sister Liz, going to Mercyhurst College, would watch before class (instead of class? do I remember that right Lizzie?). Regulars included Rich Hall, Wil Shriner, Gary Muledeer, and of course Edie McClurg as Mrs. Marv Mendenhall. This was very funny stuff, and clearly the bulk of the AM audience had no idea what to make of it. My favorite bit (sadly, not included in this clip): Coffee Cup Theater. I wonder if anyone would ever put this out on DVD? Anyway, here's about eight minutes of one show's opening-- see if it doesn't make you laugh at least once or twice:

No comments: