Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Funnies

Smitty was a long-running kid strip created by Walter Berndt back in the 1920s (though by the time I discovered it in the sixties, Smitty was old enough to have finally married his girlfriend Ginny). The titular hero was a precocious office boy working for good old Mr. Bailey, and his adventures were augmented by those of his little brother Herbie.

This was a fun strip, and if it wasn't as brilliant as some of its contemporaries, it was always worth reading and evidently struck a chord with readers to last as long as it did (for all I know, it's still appearing somewhere, though it's been a long time since I've seen it).

This is one of those strips that reflects a different era in American history-- do offices hire kids to run errands any more?-- and its fun to re-visit and recall reading it when I was a youngster (althose these examples pre-date the period when I read it).

No comments: