Thursday, February 4, 2010

Obligatory Super Bowl Post

Usually I have a vague interest in the outcome of the Super Bowl because it airs during the anniversary broadcast of my radio show, which first aired on Super Bowl Sunday in 2001. But we celebrated our ninth anniversary last week, because I have a ticket to the Wilco show in Missoula this Sunday. I find that with that fairly weak connection broken, I don't have much interest in the game at all, aside from imagining that it ought to be more entertaining than usual because of the offensive prowess of the two teams, led respectively by Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (seen above). Normally I'd probably pull for the Saints, since this is their first visit to the big dance after nearly forty years of mostly being a doormat. But I like Manning (whose dad, some of you may know, was a star quarterback for the Saints back in the seventies), and kind of feel like he deserves another championship. I'd probably watch if I didn't have other plans, but can't imagine I'll feel like I'm missing anything once Wilco takes the stage. Although I saw them last summer, that was at a much larger venue and I was pretty far from the stage. That isn't the case this time, so I'm pretty sure football will be pretty far from my mind. In fact I doubt I'll take much interest in any future Super Bowls unless they involve the Buffalo Bills. I bet my ten-year-old self would be shocked to hear me admit that.

No comments: