Friday, February 12, 2010

Classic Big Band Sound

I just found out I'll be co-teaching an Honors Seminar on Popular Music and Society in the Fall, so I'm refreshing my memory of some cool stuff that isn't necessarily part of my regular listening habits. Here's a good example: the Glenn Miller Orchestra with Tex Beneke and the Modernaires from about 1941 (the clip is from a movie called Sun Valley Serenade). Unfortunately it cuts off before the end, but it's still four and a half minutes of blissful listening:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, John, this song is one of my all time favorites. When I was a freshman in high school, we used to go down to Isaly's Ice Cream Parlor, sit in a back booth, order a cherry coke and a pretzel stick, put a few coins in the jukebox and jitterbug all around the back of the place. What memories. Mom