Thursday, February 25, 2010

Memories of Italy

Every now and then, I get a little nostalgic for my visits to Italy. It's such a beautiful country-- at least those parts I've seen. Here are a few pictures from my visit to Assisi back in the fall of 2008, starting with the image above: an ancient Roman temple that was converted to a Catholic Church some hundreds of years ago.

Strolling through the narrow streets of the city, one is constantly stumbling upon cool little scenes like the above. I have no idea what all the shoes are doing under the steps.

Here's a view of the huge lawn that spreads out in front of the St. Francis Basilicas. You might recognize the statue on the outer edge as having previously graced the top of this blog.

I spotted these nuns walking up the path just beyond the city wall. Unfortunately, it was a very foggy day, so I didn't get a good shot of the surrounding countryside from this vantage point.

There were a number of these side streets that seemed to lead up to some very nice gardens, but it wasn't clear if they were public or not, so the only look I got was up from the street. I'm really looking forward to my upcoming trip to Germany, hoping I'll see some sights as memorable as these.

No comments: