Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Last Concert I Saw

As reported here earlier, I spent Sunday evening in Missoula at the Wilco show, and managed to take a few pictures of the event (though from a bit of a distance). It was, as expected, a fantastic show. I can't think of another band active right now who I'd expect to match up with Wilco in terms of depth and breadth of material to draw upon, and also the showmanship to perform it all in such thrilling fashion.

I remember a few years ago, frontman Jeff Tweedy admitting in an interview that he really did not think of the group as much of a live act, seeing them more as a studio operation. But I've now seen them three times and each show was different from the last and exciting in its own way, based on song selection, order, and the means by which those onstage conveyed their own enthusiasm for putting on a show.

A special, unexpected highlight this time was the band's rendition of the Buffalo Springfield classic "Broken Arrow," which fit right in with the experimental nature of their own work. I was talking to my friend Sean after the show and we agreed that the two groups had a lot in common, but that it was remarkable that Wilco's eclectic output is largely the creation of a single songwriter (Tweedy), while the Springfield had three (Neil Young, Stephen Stills & Richie Furay). Each group has a strong foundation in traditional country and folk styles, but were/are not shy about expanding on that foundation in truly exciting and unanticipated ways.

In fact, we were amazed that the show was not a sell-out, as Wilco seems like such a natural draw in a place like Missoula (and there was no corresponding Bozeman or Spokane show on this tour) . But the good side of that is that we were able to move to better seats before the show started, and had a great vantage point from just above the floor crowd (seen above).

Frankly, I don't get out to too many concerts anymore, but I'm already looking forward to catching these guys again. I don't think I've ever seen a band get noticeably better each time I've seen them since the early days of REM. I've no reason to think that Wilco won't top themselves again the next time I get to one of their shows.

No comments: