Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cool Old TV Show

I wonder how many of you remember a show that aired back when I was a kid called Room 222. As I recall it was on either right before or after The Odd Couple on Friday nights. Anyway, the first season came out on DVD recently and it popped up on my recommended list at Amazon, so I bought it and have been watching episodes the past couple of days. It's set in a big city high school, and mixes comedy and drama in a pretty effective way. It turns out it was created by one of the guys, Gene Reynolds, who would help bring M*A*S*H to TV a couple years later, striking a similar balance on that program. The main characters were Pete Dixon, the dedicated history teacher (maybe an early influence on my eventual career path); Liz McIntyre, the dedicated guidance counselor and Pete's girlfriend; Mr. Kaufman, the jaded principal; and Alice Johnson, the bubbly student teacher (played by the very cute Karen Valentine). This is one of those shows that I watched regularly way back when, but haven't really thought about in what must be thirty-five years (I don't remember it ever popping up in syndication or on Nick at Night). So it's gratifying to find it's still pretty entertaining, and not just as an exercise in nostalgia. Here's a little taste in the form of the DVD promo:

1 comment:

Lil' Sis said...

Dr John,
I remember this show (vaguely) I remember I really enjoyed it - but for the life of me I cannot remember a single episode
Lil' Sis