Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Soup Diary 110525

I'm not a big fan of meatballs in soup-- it just seems like they should be smothered in rich, thick tomato sauce rather than a runny broth. Along those lines, I would never order Italian Wedding Soup if I have another alternative, although I must admit it's not based on taste so much as perception (I've actually had one or two decent bowls of Italian Wedding Soup in my time). But at Infinite Soup they offered something called Hunter's Meatball, and I was intrigued enough by the name to give it a try. Turned out pretty good too, though I can't help but think that it would've been better if the meatballs were to be broken up into smaller chunks of meat. In this case, the broth had a slightly buttery flavor (actually, that's kind of a mark of almost all the varieties I tried at that shop), lightly seasoned to complement the meatballs. Along with that were some chunks of red pepper and mushrooms, for a very satisfying mix. This wasn't so spectacular that I'd be tempted to order it again, especially given other options, but I'm glad my prejudice didn't stop me from enjoying it at least this once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, I was going through the cafeteria line at Sister's Hospital, a long time ago. I had a bowl of soup ( I don't remember what it was) but knowing the cafeteria, I plopped a pat of butter into the soup. There was a Hungarian kitchen helper (a displaced person) right behind me and she commented that putting butter in my soup was a sign of an aristocratic taste....I'm glad you have inherited that taste bud..Mom