Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Soup Diary 110518

My sister Lizzie has been raving about this soup place in Tacoma for months, and I finally got a chance to visit today. The place is called Infinite Soups and that's all they serve, just for takeout (not unlike the Soup Nazi's stand in the classic Seinfeld episode-- a comparison I bet they're sick of hearing about, though the staff was very friendly). I actually tried to visit back in November, but they were closed for the whole long Thanksgiving weekend, so my taste buds had to wait. While they didn't quite reach the promise of their name in offerings, they definitely had more varieties to choose from than I've ever encountered in a single place on a single day before. There were at least twelve different soups on the chalkboard menu, and although that number included Chicken Noodle and Broccoli Cheddar, all the other choices offered some unique or offbeat element. I decided to go with the option that was most exotic, in the sense that it was something that I have never heard of or imagined as a soup before-- so I went with the Roman Artichoke. To put it simply, it was outstanding. Marked by a creamy, slightly cheesy, broth, with copious artichoke leaves and a smattering of tender tortellinis, this was an all-time great. If that's representative of the quality of everything available at Infinite Soups, I can guarantee that I'll be back at the soonest opportunity. If I actually lived in Tacoma, it would be very difficult to resist near daily visits. As it is, it's now added to the list of must-does when I find myself in western Washington.

No comments: