Saturday, November 28, 2009

Soup Diary 091128

I'm actually a few days behind on these diary entries, but I should catch up soon enough. While driving to western Washington for Thanksgiving, I passed through and had a meal in Spokane, at a diner called Flapdoodles. I like diners-- they often make me feel like I'm stepping back in time to a different kind of restaurant experience than what one finds in the now-more-common fast food places. Part of that is that they tend to offer soup, and if you're lucky, homemade soup. That was the case here. The choices were Cream of Tomato and Cabbage Kielbasa. As you can guess from teh picture above, I went with the latter. I should mention that, when the waitress told me the options, my gut reaction was to go with the Tomato, as I'm not that big a fan of either kielbasa or cabbage. But I decided to be adventurous and I was amply rewarded. The broth was very rich and tangy, the cabbage still had a bit of crunch to it, and the though the kielbasa was in short supply (just one chunk, by my count), it definitely lent some flavor to the concoction. So, score one for taking a chance-- I just hope my luck holds the next time.

No comments: