Thursday, November 5, 2009

Soup Diary 091105

Well I finally got around to whipping up that batch of Cream of Carrot Soup I've been planning ever since I inadvertently bought carrots on two consecutive trips to the market, doubling my supply. This was, without question, the most orange thing I've ever cooked (and possibly the most orange thing I've ever eaten), and guess what? It was pretty good! I resisted the temptation to go off-recipe, especially with regard to the spices (just salt and pepper, some parsley and basil) and the end result was smooth and creamy, with a nicely enhanced carrot flavor. I had thought about tossing in some roasted red pepper when I blended the carrots, but forgot to put some in the oven ahead of time. Next time, I 'll go ahead and experiment, but at least I'll know the foundation is strong enough to sustain some variation. I'm thinking that I might try to make some cauliflower soup next, or maybe sweet potato, though in the latter case I'll be trying to match the lofty standard set by the Sweet Potato Pablano at Fables, so that might be a tad ambitious.

No comments: