Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Christmas List

This is a little self-serving, but I think a few folks who read this blog may have me on their Christmas lists, and I thought it might be useful if I posted a list of books (and a couple cds) that I would not mind finding under the tree on December 25th. They are listed below. By the same token, if anyone reading this would like to post a wish-list in the comments, I might be subject to some friendly suggestions as I go about my own holiday shopping.

Books I'd Like to Read:
Morris Dickstein, Dancing in the Dark: A Cultural History of the Great Depression [history]
Greil Marcus & Werner Sollors, eds. A New Literary History of America [history]
William Knoedelseder, I'm Dying Up Here! Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-Up Comedy's Golden Age [humor]
Robert Pinsky, Thousands of Broadways: Dreams and Nightmares of teh American Small Town [history]
Ian Almond, Two Faiths, One Banner [history]
Jim Walsh, The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting [music]
Tony Judt, Reappraisals: Reflections on the Forgotten Twentieth Century [history]
Neil Harris, The Chicagoan: A Lost Magazine of the Jazz Age [history/media]
Mark Steel, Vive La Revolution: A Stand-Up History of the French Revolution [humor]
William H. Goetzmann, Beyond the Revolution: A History of American Thought from Paine to Pragmatism [history]
Jackson Lears, Rebirth of a Nation:The Making of Modern America 1877-1920 [history]

Compact Discs I'd Like to Hear:
Various Artists, Where the Action Is! Los Angeles Nuggets 1965-1968*
Cornershop, Judy Sucks a Lemon
Various artists, Mad Mike Monsters, Vol. 1-3
Various Artists, Honey & Wine: Another Gerry Goffin and Carole King Song Collection

*This one is kind of expensive, but can be had at considerable discount at Amazon.com

No comments: