Sunday, November 8, 2009

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today I had one of the more memorable days of my whole life, wandering around the Eternal City of Rome. It was the last day of a week long trip to Italy, and there were no planned group activities until dinner that night. So I set out to check out all the sights I'd missed on a couple of previous visits. After being dropped off near the Colosseum, I headed over to look at the Pantheon, passing the Victor Emmanuel Memorial above.

his is one of the narrow side streets I followed heading over to the Pantheon.

And here is the Pantheon itself,, an ancient Roman temple eventually converted to a Catholic church.

Next up was the Trevi Fountain, which was pretty congested (the piazza, not the fountain itself) with fellow tourists.

Here's a shot of the famous Spanish Steps, where I hung out for awhile watching some artists at work.

Later, I caught part of a concert in the Piazza de Popolo.

After a visit to the National Gallery of Modern Art, I wandered around the park surrounding the Villa de Borghese. Here's a look at a carousel in the park.

Here's a boating pond. There were a lot of people enjoying the incredibly nice day; maybe the Mediterranean climate is always like that in November, but it sure was a nice change from Montana at that time of year.

Here's a portion of the old wall surrounding the city, this portion near the Piazza le Brasile. Our group was to meet for supper near here a little later, which gave me time to walk down to the Piazza de Repubblica, a portion of which can be seen below.

That was one very full day-- my feet were killing me at the end, but I'd do it all over again in a second.

No comments: