Saturday, November 21, 2009

Soup Diary 091121

When I started compiling this diary, it was to chronicle all the wonderful varieties of soup I was trying as it became a habit to include a cup with most of the meals I ate away from home. My intention was to stay away from the standard fare and always select something I hadn't had before, or something that was most subject to individual distinction from one restaurant to another. Consequently, I think the only chicken noodle soup I've eaten in the last year is the stuff I make myself, as it tends not to be anything special in most eateries. Today, I was in Idaho Falls and came across a diner I'd not previously patronized, and went in for lunch. They actually had three choices for soup, and the menu entry prominently stated: "Made fresh daily." I took that to mean they made it from scratch, and figured there was a good chance the chicken noodle might just be something special (the place had that kind of air about it). No such luck. Apparently, "made fresh daily" just means they mix up a new batch every day, but this was definitely from a mix. It was identical to the soup they serve in the cafeteria at school, and at the Safeway deli. It wasn't terrible, just the same old same old, and (as with the others mentioned) too salty. I guess I'll have to be more discriminating in how I read a menu from now on-- of course, even if I'd gone with one of the other options I probably would've been disappointed.

In other soup news: while visiting the Buffalo Library webpage for another reason a week or so ago, I noticed they had a link to Fables Cafe (the coffee shop in the library where I had many a great cup of soup when I was home over the summer). Clicking on it, I discovered I could have them send me an e-mail everyday with their specials, including the soup menu. So now each morning when I get to work and open my account, I'm tantalized by the offerings-- two thousand miles away!-- of spicy black bean, sweet red pepper with chorizo, African peanut, and on and on. I'm not sure it's such a good idea that I start the day with uncontrolled drooling, so I may have to stop the updates. I mean, why should I torture myself?

No comments: