Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Soup Diary 091110

Following my gratifying success with Cream of Carrot soup last week, today I took a shot at some homemade Cauliflower Walnut. Sadly, it wasn't up to the standard established by my earlier effort. Oh it was ok, but I had high hopes, mainly because I was actually taking a shot at a more "gourmet" concoction, what with the walnuts and such. Unfortunately, it came out kind of bland, with only a hint of walnut flavor and even the cauliflower being a bit overwhelmed by the onion in the mix. With the carrot soup, I resisted the temptation to tart it up with any more spice than the recipe called for; in this case, I think something was missing (maybe parsley? a touch of roasted red pepper? a couple chunks of broccoli?). I don't know what will make it better, but I have enough left over that I can do a little experimenting over the next few days. I'll keep you posted on the results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try a pinch of nutmeg in the soup, John. Mom