Saturday, November 7, 2009

More Photoshop Experiments

Over the years I've taken a bunch of pictures at concerts. But usually, because I was sitting far away, or at a weird angle, or just lacked the imagination or technique, most of the photos I've taken are pretty mundane. Luckily my new editing software gives me the ability to turn these into something at least (to me) somewhat more interesting. Above is a picture of Robert Cray from about three years ago in which I've turned the original's lack of focus into less of an issue by employing some painterly effects.

Same deal with this long shot of Richie Havens and friends, performing at Artpark on the Niagara Gorge. Reducing the dark colors to black and gray makes this a little less busy and somewhat crisper than in its original state.

This is Amy Rigby last summer in Rochester. I brought the colors out to heighten the contrast with the artist in black and added a few layers of other effects to create the washed out look. These may not be great art-- but believe me, they're more interesting to look at than what I started out with (and I say that as the person who took the photos in the first place).

No comments: